Tuesday, September 1, 2009

There's more than one way to skin a peach.

Or is that a cat? I don't recall the EXACT phrasing, but I did skin some peaches today. I channeled my inner Hannibal Lector, and made quick work of it. My friend recommended a great fruit seller to me and I foolishly thought I needed to order some. 50 lbs., to be clear. I had 25 lbs. of peaches and 25 lbs. of pears sitting in my pantry begging me to be made into something spectacular. I willingly admit that I am not one who "bakes," or "sews," or "cans," or "cleans the house," wait... let's back that up a bit, shall we say I'm just not that domestic. Be that as it may, the fruit needed to be used and I think we all know what would have occured if we had decided to just eat the 50 lbs. of fruit in the next two days. It could've been ugly. So I did what had to be done.


I bought the supplies, I skinned the fruit, I made the jam. 13 jars of real peach jam, 16 jars of peach freezer jam, 2 large bags of sliced peaches for desserts or smoothies or something, and one container of crushed peaches (I ran out of jars). It took me all afternoon and a giant mess of a kitchen, but I did it. All by myself. I feel a little bit proud, nay, pleased. Now, about those pears...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive. I've made a bit of freezer jam with the abundant blackberries around here, but I've never done any canning. A few years ago we bought a bunch of cherries from Eastern Washington and borrowed a dehydrator from Sister Felts and dried them. At Christmas time I gave away chocolate covered dried cherries, which was fun.

Clint Hoskins said...

Mmmm, peach smoothies!!

Stacy said...

Very cool. Good work!