Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Who knew I'd miss it?

Growing up, my family took car trips. We drove everywhere and during every trip my mom would say some variation of the following, "Look out your windows at the scenery." That suggestion was usually scoffed at with some degree of indifference. I don't care for scenery. I don't get excited if there is a deer on the side of the road. When driving through mountain roads, I don't look at the the beauty, I just try not to puke. That has always been my take on the "scenic route." However, the other day, I saw a strikingly beautiful tree with leaves that were 4 different autumn colors and I said, "Look out your window at that tree!" I gasped, I shuddered, I even chuckled a little at the horror that I have become the opposite of me.
So, for now, I smile every time I see changing leaves and the sun glisten off the sound. I'm the mom now, I guess I must take my rightful place as the "scenic observationist." I can't concede to the mountains yet though. They still make me puke.

2 comments:

Don Jenkins said...

I'm smiling ... Wish we could actually SEE the mountains today! Love, Mom

kristib said...

I always point things out to my kids...and inwardly cringe just a little because I sound like my mom.

Those trees are gorgeous.