Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I'm calling it thrifty.

Cambria got some cute new knee socks the other day and she wanted to wear them to school. I generally don't have her wear dresses to school because of modesty logistics, but she really wanted to, so we had to figure something out. Leggings would cover the socks, therefore a no go. Tights under the socks would have just been ridiculous, so that too, was a no go. I told her she needed some bike shorts, but all we have are flowery ones that would have been a crazy addition to the outfit. So what do you do when your daughter needs plain colored bike shorts to go under her skirt?
You pull out the old baby tights (6-12 months) and cut off the feet. Oh yes, I did. They stretched fantastically and worked just like I wanted them to. No, it's not white trash, it's thrifty. The real question is, why did I still have one random pair of black baby tights lingering in her drawer? I guess they knew they had a greater purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute socks! and I'm all for thrifty. When my eldest was a toddler, KMart was selling "bubble shorts" which were basically cotton knit bloomers. I got a bunch of them on clearance for a buck a pair and they made the best under dress diaper/panty covers. I think we had three pair that survived to daughter number four, but she's such an amazon, that even the biggest ones are now too small for her.

Courtney said...

Great idea! Love the socks!